Monday 9 February 2015

On the rock

Chulilla. Day 1.

A strange day!

In as far as, I felt strange, not the day itself. It being Sunday (I had to check what day it was).

I met the 3 Slovenian's at 9.30. Roko and I teamed up while the other two ( Andriz and Mijka... I think) went off to crank out some silly numbers. I just went with them, they joked about selling my kidneys... Its amazing how we trust our fellow climbers for the most part, and I guess you have an instinct for people, and these guys seemed good. They made me laugh and we had a good day. They were kind, modest and warm, and good climbers.

In the last diary post I mentioned similarities to Kalymnos, and this morning I felt that very strongly. But it seemed strange to be doing this without Themi. I know to many of you this will sound cheesy, but because it felt so similar, the missing element was Themi. I'm not saying Rocko was ugly or anything and we made a good safe team, but you know what I mean :) Truth is I miss her very much. Simple.

Roko showed me his tying in knot. It has the rope running through what is a basic bowline, but re-threaded so two ropes are going through the harness, always reassuring I think, then tied off in a stopper knot. I have adopted this and so far, I like it.

Something else interested me this morning.
I didn't have to move.
It felt weird to me, I admit that I felt like moving on. I've thought about why, and I don't really understand it, but it did feel like the natural thing to do....Its amazing how quickly the unusual, becomes the usual. The norm.
Anyway, I'm not going yet. Not for a while. Steve reckons he'll be here on the 14th so I'll be here till then for certain.

The feeling intrigued me though.
Either we just adjust to each new experience as they come along, or I'm learning 'me' as each day goes by.

As a climber, performance and our personal perception of it is an important thing. For instance, all week I've been happy in the knowledge that when I do actually touch rock, the journey and 2 weeks sat on my ass driving will have taken its toll on my fitness. Yet still, today I felt like I climbed poorly. A 6b warm up, then a 7a with a rest, then a lovely warm sunny 7A+ on-sight, taps aff, when I felt 'the flow' (Oh the sun, it was proper warm, not too hot, just perfect and felt so so nice) but then a 7B+ fail after a long while belaying and getting chilled as the sun dropped below the lip of the crag opposite, and another totally unacceptable wimpish attempt on a top rope a while later. I've always hated lowering off after a tope rope.... Life is on 2 bolts.

Poor. Its difficult to not feel down about these things even though logic shouts out the many good reasons for a poor day, as days go. The logic of the the journey, the new crag-day 1, the new partners, the golfers elbow. Yes all these things can be logically pointed to as genuine and valid 'climbers excuses' for a poor day. But there's one logic that I can't excuse or do anything about, and that's getting older and feeling it in my movement today. I know it was feeling chilly, and once the sun hit me I felt the surge of its energy. That, and I was probably warmed up by then!

I don't want this to seem like a downbeat diary entry... though it does read a bit like that. The thing is, things will improve. I know it. I know in my logical head that my fitness will return, and probably fairly quickly. I will find the flow here and I will move better. I did enjoy today, very much. A day climbing is always, always better than a day working right :).

So here endeth day 1. I had a vino with Gerd and Nic from Australia, and a quick chat with Rok and Mijka on the way out of Bar El Canton and tomorrow we go to sector Sex Shop. Yes, really :)

I had a wonderful 'chat' with an old Spaniard sat in the bar with us. It was so funny. Nic Gerd and I were desperately trying to understand what he was saying! He was happy and smiling and whatever he could understand made him smile. It must amuse the older locals to see us all sat there staring into lap tops cursing the slow internet. The locals are so friendly. Being Sunday many Spanish people came along the gorge for a day out and everyone said Hola and smiled happily. They are a warm nation. The differences between other Euro immediate neighbours is obvious and clear.

Finally a big thank you to the guys behind the Bar El Canton... Alberto, and Maria-Angeles and the other guys working there. All wonderfully warm and full of human kindness, nice vino tinto and free wifi.

Modern Times.

Ginaika Mou... s agapo moro mou. Para poli.
Signomi ya simora. xx

 Gerd at Sexshop sector. Chulilla village behind.
 Selfie!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rok + Gerd
 I can see the crag from here! The view from Rok's terrace window.
I think I can see the van........?


No comments:

Post a Comment