Friday 20 February 2015

Rest Days

I've been trying to work out the best sequence of days on to days off.... So today is a rest day after 2 days climbing. Wednesday was the 'good day' I mentioned last time, yesterday was a really nice day in every respect, but not so good.... The numbers are irrelevant, its the way I felt that made it less than perfect.

First excuse; Dogs barking, well one dog actually, all night. So lacking sleep to begin with the omens were not good.

Second excuse; Golfers elbow. I felt it today, probably after so much cranking on it on Wednesday.... Bleedin obvious right!!!!

Third excuse; Themi has not been feeling good and has been to see the doctor. This has been on my mind. Being miles away having fun while the one you love is not well is hard. She says she'll be fine, that she's ok and not to worry. Ok.

The regulation 6b+ warm up this morning went really well, I even jumped off a couple of times to instil the required bravery to take the falls. Steve on the end of the rope.

Next up a glorious looking line on Pared El Farante (sic) which went at 7a+ and not without a massive struggle. I don't know why I do this, but as usual, I got to the hard moves, saw how to do them, and then spent 10 precious minuets trying to find an easier way! Eventually as power was slowly ebbing away (just to give the route a fighting chance) I managed to make the move and battled my way to the top, managing to do it cleanly but not in any way a good style. As is always the case, Steve cruised it with ease. Bastard.

We left the dusty crag and strolled back toward the car park end of the ridge, me with my tale between my legs. Steve put the clips in the (excellent) Blue Agave for us and we chatted with Per and Anka while they climbed next to us. As the climbing day slowly crawled to a close, Per put the clips in another excellent fingery and technical 7a/+ which Steve and I both dispatched before we all went back to the vans.

We cooked up boiled potatoes, steamed broccoli and fried up 2 chorizo sausages in garlic and a Chinese soup mix (thanks Themi) as a sauce and I have to say it all worked really well and tasted aweome. I think since travelling like this and being active everyday in some way, my diet has improved a fair bit. The only possible negative is slightly more bread and cheese but driving through France, who could resist. Fresh local produce is readily available and super cheap here at the Chulilla market (every Thursday, get there at 10).

I think, and I may be wrong, but I think I can see the start of the old 6-pack returning :) Also a very grey beard....Oh well, can't have everything!

Friday morning dawned chilly but sunny, not a cloud in the clear blue sky... Praise the Lord for days like these..!!! Coffee and breakfast, a quick stretch and a chat with Lucy Creamer in the car park, then Steve and I strolled through the town to the other car park for a coffee with Marco, Miha, and Rok. Its Rok's last day today. It's been great to meet him. He was so friendly on my first day, Miha too. Nicer guys it would be hard to meet and I've so enjoyed the time I've spent with them both.

The joyous side of these trips is not just the sun and warm rock, but the people.

After doing the van's chores, water and waste, I did some laundry. Just the essentials but it would appear to me that I'm learning fast how to be economical with my clothing! Or stinking like a dirt bag... But honestly, I don't think I smell too bad considering. Really! General good hygiene, the odd shower and/or a good wash and smellies applied as usual and I reckon its all ok. The base layer seems to be top quality and doesn't seem to smell...... Or, maybe I'm just not trying hard enough!!!!

Laundry done, Nic gave me a hand getting the solar panel up on the roof, while Gerd was enjoying his particular version of a 'rest day'.... Maybe that's why he's working 8a+'s and I'm not......?

Bugger!
                                                    Gerd's rest day.......


                                         Mikes rest day :)
                                         Gerd can just be seen resting in the background!


                  A beautiful view of Chulilla.. spoiled by some bearded Canadian scruff bag!!


Coffee at Miha's place.

No comments:

Post a Comment