Saturday 24 January 2015

Injuries...

Its been 10 really good days on Kalymnos with Themi. During that time we climbed a bit, in climbing terms it was mostly relaxed on-sight climbing to ease the injury into real rock, but on Thursday I had a blast at a new, sharp, brittle 7c at North Cape. My fingers were tender after pulling on new rough broccoli slopers, flakes and nubbins, so I figured best leave the red-point for after a rest day.

We also had a family birthday, and generally lived a normal life, including a visit to a really nice accountant, and the marine agent for boat licence details. Its been wonderful. All the time I kept an eye on the weather both here and in the UK to see when would be the best time to head back and sort out a few things with the van, and then set off for Spain.

We chatted about the MOT too so all things considered, I decided to book tickets to Edinburgh, pick up the van from Glasgow, and head up to see Sami and hopefully Kyle too, my Mom, and also book the van in for some work and the test. Next week here looks very stormy (last night we watched the movie 'Powder', then had an awesome real life thunder and lightning storm right overhead.... spooky), while in the UK it seems that normal service is about to resume with milder, wetter weather coming next week.

These past few days I've had an aching right knee. I bashed the underside of the knee cap on the pillion peg of the scooter..... Since then I've had a cramp like feeling in the knee, I'm not sure if that's related or if the back is playing up again. Thursday I started to feel sore down the outside of my right leg. Its got gradually worse. Yesterday I booked the flights but by evening time I was wishing I hadn't as the pain down the Tibial Band was so bad I could barely move. Last night I managed only a little sleep, I couldn't find anywhere comfortable to rest the leg. This morning its a little better after some heat, and the decision was made, sensibly, not to climb today even though the thought of sending Le Mur d'Epicure was very very tempting, in reality, I doubt whether I could have had enough freedom of movement in the thigh to relax enough to climb at all.

So I'm committed to leaving now with a gammy leg. Theory is it will 'recover' while I'm travelling... Fingers crossed. On the plus side, the golfers elbow has enjoyed real rock and feels so much better than it did when I got here.

I'll admit, its really tempting to stay. Life with Themi is so wonderfully easy and I sometimes can't wait to begin it full time. I'll also admit that now I'm heading back, those fears about life in the van have returned, but Themi is always encouraging, always supportive, and always full of love. She has been, as always, amazing. I love her more each time we're together and I miss her more each time I leave.

Finally..... If you have the chance to travel and explore in your 20's, a gap year or something..... Take it!!! No aches, no pains, no injuries to worry about..... Freedom in every sense, except maybe financial. But then there's always the bank of Mom and Dad :)

No comments:

Post a Comment